Search This Blog

Thursday, January 24, 2013

DIY Shoe Rack

Pin It
Since moving into our apartment a short 4 months ago I've had a mental to-do list of things I wanted to accomplish.
Well folks, I can now check one of those things off of my list :)
I looked around for a shoe rack to fit behind our front door, but they were all kind of big, or pretty pricey, etc.
I figured we could make one.
My son loved helping me with this project. This is what we came up with.
We have this square of hard floor around the front door, and then carpet in the rest of the front room.
That's where the shoes end up. Just kicked right off once we come in the house.
Living in a smaller space makes it look more messy, so I decided to fix this problem.

(This is what I've been dealing with...
and this is on a good day, only 2 pairs of shoes are out per person...usually there are more strewn around...)
So I gathered all of our supplies...(I ended up not using the Gorilla glue).
I have kept extra screws from past projects, so I was able to just look through our stash and use what we already had.
 We went to Lowe's for the wood. They will cut pieces of wood for you for free, which is very helpful since I don't have access to all my dad's saws and tools anymore.
I bought two 1/2" dowels that were 48" long and had someone cut them right in half at 24".
I also got a piece of wood measuring 1"x 2"x 48" and had the guy cut it into 4 equal 12" pieces.
I decided on the height I wanted the 'shelves' to be, and marked it at 4 1/4" and 10"
Using my power screw driver I drilled 2 small holes at my marks.
Drill a hole in the end of each dowel.
Then, using a screw attach the dowels.
Attach the other side the same way.
This is the back of the shoe rack.
For the front of the shoe rack I marked the holes at 3 3/4" and 9 1/2", so a 1/2" lower than the rack on the back so there will be a slight slant for the shoes to rest on.
I don't know how, but I forgot to get some wood that would attach the front of the rack to the back...yeah.
So, we went back to Lowe's the next day and picked out one more piece.
This one was a 1/2" across and 36" long.
I just cut it myself at home with my hand-held saw into four 5" pieces.
The edges were a little raw from the saw, so I just quickly sanded them down.
I measured down 1 1/2" from the top, and 3" from the bottom,
and drilled a hole through the wood.
Attach the four pieces to the back of the rack.
There ended up being a random nail in our bag of screws, so my little helper nailed it in with his little hammer.
I was so proud, he nailed it in all the way all by himself :)
(Look at that concentration! The tongue is out!)
 After all four pieces are attached, screw or nail in the front of the rack, and done!!
 Can you see all of the scuff marks on the wall?
Yep, that's from us just tossing our shoes. Maybe now that they have a place to go I can clean that wall...
I'm debating on whether or not I should paint the shoe rack..? Or stain it? Or just leave it...
Thoughts?

21 comments:

  1. Great job with the shoe rack! Following you from the GYB Hop!

    www.craftyincrosby.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle,
    What a great DIY project! You did a great job.
    Thank you for linking up with us at the Thumping Thursdays Blog Hop.

    Karina
    http://momintheusa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love DIY's. What a great idea, and a great way to save money. I want to do something similar, but make a clothes rack! I have way too many articles, that my closet won't fit anything anymore. :)

    I found you through blog hop, and I'm now following you on Pinterest and Bloglovin! Hope you get some time to check mine out too - adayindurham.com. :)

    Your new follower, Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of a clothes rack!
      Thanks for following, I'll come check your blog out as well :)

      Delete
  4. You are so creative! I love this post, DIY projects are the best. Thank you for sharing. :)

    www.paintingmariposasinthesky.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making it yourself is the perfect way to get exactly what you want. Love this! Visiting today from Super Sunday Sync.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great tutorial for this! Why are the premade ones so expensive? Blows my mind!

    Thank you for linking your favorite post of this week to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured :)

    xoxo
    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great project! This would be wonderful for by our front door. I might have to put this on my to do list!

    Thank you for linking up to Raising Imperfection!
    Make sure to check back on Friday to see if you were featured.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out great! Good job! Always fun to find ways to get more organized.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever! I would love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Following from Take-a-look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts.

    That's good to know about Lowe's. I have some projects kicking around in my head, but my tool box is fairly bare. And you get extra points (yay!) for using eye protective gear for your little bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He loves his little goggles, we got them from Lowes :)

      Delete
  11. Genius!! We have the same problem - shoes all over the front of our entryway. I need to make this asap. We're getting scuffs on our wall. Haha and I love the tongue sticking out - that's definitely major concentration right there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must, it's so easy to make!!
      I know, when the tongue is out, it's serious :)

      Delete
  12. I need to make one of these before someone comes in my house and trips on a flip flop. Thanks for sharing at Throwback Thursday, Michelle! :-)

    xoxo
    Denyse

    ReplyDelete
  13. These shoe organizers are great for any door or cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great place for kids (and parents) to take off their shoes!

    Marlene
    Seattle Water Pipe Repair

    ReplyDelete
  15. Less space?
    Hosting guests?
    No problem!
    This compact extendable Shoe Rack is a handy set up to own👍
    Order here:Prab Space Saving Concepts

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...